The Mississippi State University Riley Center for Education and Performing Arts seeks an accomplished professional as its second Executive Director. The Riley Center is a regional hub of performance, cultural enrichment, and arts integration. The center opened with great fanfare in 2006, and its success catalyzed a renaissance in the historic heart of Meridian. After opening the Riley Center, MSU-Meridian expanded its Riley Campus by renovating two other historic structures on the same block: the Deen Building and the Rosenbaum Building. The Center was established out of a vision of The Riley Foundation which annually sponsors a performing arts series. The Riley Foundation and Phil Hardin Foundation continually support development and programming of The Riley Center and MSU-Meridian. The expanded role of Executive Director reflects MSU’s growth in downtown Meridian and more closely ties to the educational mission of the local campus. Successful applicants will understand the uniqueness of this center and have a vision for expanding the university’s outreach through innovative approaches and excellent community relationship.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees operation of the 875-seat theatre, including securing and scheduling of entertainment/performances
- Oversees operation of conference facilities, including marketing of the facility as a resource for the community/region and University and assists the Head of Campus in Administrative oversight of the Riley Campus
- Oversees development of innovative educational outreach initiatives to expand access and promote programmatic excellence and lifelong learning. Collaborates with the Head of Campus and Division Heads in leveraging technology and the Center's resources to meet the mission of MSU Meridian
- Collaborates with the Head of Campus and Division Heads in curriculum development and takes a lead role in that process as it relates to technical credit, particularly in hospitality and event management
- Works with the Head of Campus, the Office of Research and Economic Development, and the MSU Foundation to increase private and institutional support for research, facilities, programs, scholarships, endowments, and advancement for the MSU Riley Center and for the Meridian Campus
- Works with the Head of Campus to plan and maintain an annual budget
- Oversees educational enrichment and outreach including K-12 initiatives, arts integration programming, and continuing education efforts
- Recruits and hires staff that help reach the organizational mission
- Maintains facilities above expectations and works with the Head of Campus and Building Maintenance Supervisor on a deferred maintenance schedule and daily cleaning needs
- Coordinates the Bachelor of Applied Technology in Event and Hospitality integration with the MSU Riley Center
- Participates/engages in professional pursuits in the candidate's discipline/areas of expertise
- Supervises management of the Bulldog Shop and leverages beverage and food services, the gift shop, and other resources in serving both students and conference attendees/patrons
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of Campus
Master's degree in a relevant field or a bachelors with considerable related experience.
- Ph.D. in a relevant field
- Experience in community relations, arts integration, and educational programming
- Experience working in an educational setting
- Experience in securing substantial grant funding
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Outstanding interactive skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively with a wide range of constituencies
- Ability to network with agents and industry leaders in performing arts to schedule reputable shows
- Ability to efficiently and effectively work in a fast-paced environment with multiple responsibilities
- Ability to prioritize workload and foster a willingness to continuously learn and grow professionally to excel at one's highest capacity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Proven organizational ability and ability to make decisions as necessary to facilitate efficient operation
- Knowledge of fiscal and human resources management
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- This job frequently requires a non-traditional work schedule including nights and weekends.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/cw/en-us/job/498116 and attach a cover letter and resume that includes the complete contact information for at least three professional references
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Download the job full description (PDF)
Return to Jobs