Priorities and Ongoing Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have responsibility for implementing and enhancing the organization's strategic goals, overseeing the strategy and design for fundraising initiatives, developing and administering program activities, providing leadership of the day-to-day administrative functions, and ensuring that senior management and staff are in place to meet operational needs. This individual should have a broad vision, be bold and creative in shaping the Colonial's position as a vibrant community cultural center and ally of the arts. All endeavors of the Executive Director will be to implement the Colonial's mission.
Much of the Executive Director's energy will be spent in the community creating and growing the Colonial's image with a diverse variety of constituents. These will include governmental officials, community leaders, donors, artists, leaders of other artistic/cultural organizations as well as other stakeholders. The Executive Director should have the standing to function socially and professionally among the community's most highly respected business leaders and philanthropists, with a focus on maintaining and building strategic alliances.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will be a leader in strategic planning and the evolution of existing and new programs and will be creative and willing to work closely with the Board to enhance the mission of the Colonial, its programs, and development efforts.
- Will be expected to lead and develop the team of experienced professionals responsible for the management of daily affairs of The Colonial Theatre.
- Will be responsible for leading the development of the Colonial's theatrical offerings, educational programs and artistic performance programming, with the goal of expansion as appropriate.
- Is expected to lead and strengthen fundraising endeavors utilizing local, regional, and national resources, while overseeing a robust fundraising initiative with individual donors.
- Will possess the ability to develop and maintain long-term relationships that will enhance the financial, artistic, and educational goals of the Colonial.
- Will continue to develop and promote the Colonial as a brand and successfully establish the theatre as a recognized leader of artistic endeavors in the region.
- Working closely with the Board, the Executive Director will be responsible for developing annual operating budgets, overseeing the assets and financial affairs of the Colonial, ensuring expenditures are in line with the Colonial's resources, and achieving an appropriate balance between revenue generation and fundraising and overall budget management.
- Will help to develop, engage and support a strong Board of Directors and participate in committee meetings.
- Will oversee all operations and responsibilities concerning the building and grounds of The Colonial Theatre.
- Will negotiate contracts and agreements with vendors and groups using the theatre in alignment with policies established by the Board of Directors.
- Will have a demonstrated track record of executing projects from conception to successful completion.
- Will have significant proven fundraising experience at the major gift level.
- Will have demonstrated connectedness within the performing arts community.
- Will be a comfortable and engaging public speaker.
- Will be action-oriented, entrepreneurial, and possess an innovative approach to business planning.
- Will be a skilled leader with a personal and inclusive management style.
- Will have an understanding of how social media can impact the Colonial.
- Will be proficient in the use of office software programs (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and have the capacity to quickly become proficient in ACT's fundraising and box office ticketing systems.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in non-profit management with a preferred focus on arts and culture organizations, particularly theatres.
- An undergraduate degree is required; an advanced degree is desirable. Experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced degree.
Competitive salary and benefits
- Cover letter
- Three References
- Portfolio of representative work associated with previous position(s)
- Examples of social media use
- Salary requirements
Please email your resume and complete submittal package by Monday, February 26th to:
Kenneth B. Mumma
Chair, The Association for the Colonial Theatre Search Committee
Download the detailed printable version of the posting (PDF)
Return to Jobs