Director of Development
CAPA (Connecticut Association for the Performing Arts) and the Shubert Theatre in New Haven CT is seeking a full-time Director of Development to be responsible for the planning and execution of all sponsorship and philanthropic giving programs related to CAPA's Connecticut operations. This position works closely with the Board of Directors and reports to the Executive Director/Vice President of the Shubert and CAPA CT.
- Prospecting and sales for performance, educational and institutional sponsorship programs, and the execution of sponsorship benefits.
- Planning, oversight and execution of the Annual Appeal, a year-round annual giving program. Responsibilities for Annual Appeal include goal-setting, solicitation plans, board involvement, key calls, materials generation and supporting services such as mailings and telefunding.
- Planning and execution of sales for the Shubert Corporate Club, including prospecting, materials and proposal generation and sales calls.
- Serving as an ambassador for all Development programs, particularly through Advancement activities associated with opening nights and the Shubert Corporate Suite.
- Ongoing stewardship of all corporate, foundation and individual donors, from prospecting and initial engagement through follow up and ongoing relations.
- Management of grant proposals and reports for Connecticut operations.
- Planning and management of galas and benefit events.
- Works with Director of Education & Outreach as appropriate on CAPA/Shubert community outreach programs.
- Supervision of the Development Department budget.
- Serve as an ambassador for CAPA Connecticut/Shubert at community functions, receptions, meetings and performances.
- Works closely with Executive, Operations, Communications, Marketing and Ticket/Box Office departments in planning and coordination of related activities. Development Department responsibilities include development of program benefits, marketing the programs within development publications, maintenance of membership records and renewals.
- With the Vice President and Executive Director, manages the activities of the CAPA Connecticut Board of Directors, including board communications, meeting scheduling and maintenance of the Board minutes.
- Management and staffing of the CAPA Connecticut Board Development Committee, including scheduling and staffing meetings, following up with members on committee assignments and providing necessary reports.
- Qualified candidates must have 6-8 years of proven, hands-on experience managing development efforts generating at least $2M annually.
- Bachelor's or master's degree preferred or combination of education with equivalent years of work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The position requires creative thinking for problem solving, the ability to prioritize urgent or last minute requests, and a willingness to assist when the need arises.
- Must demonstrate excellent organizational, written, oral and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to interface with all levels of management.
- The successful candidate will have direct experience:
- working directly with Board committees and other volunteers to achieve results;
- soliciting and closing major gifts ($10,000+) from individuals and businesses;
- designing and overseeing annual fund campaigns;
- experience with planned giving and capital campaigns;
- working knowledge of brand sponsorship opportunities.
- Proficiency in computers and experience with fund raising databases is required.
Candidate must be able to accommodate a flexible schedule requiring some evenings and weekends throughout the year. In addition to a standard background check this position requires a credit check that is satisfactory to management.
E-mail cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. CAPA offers a full benefits package that includes subsidized health insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) plan with employer match. CAPA and the Shubert Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Download the Full Job Description (PDF)
Return to Jobs